Are you tired of your car’s trim or moldings constantly falling off? Or perhaps you’re attempting to attach a new accessory, and the typical adhesives aren’t up to the task?
I understand that minor details can make a substantial difference in automotive customization and repair. That’s why today, I’m bringing you the ultimate guide to finding the best double-sided tape for cars.
Over the years, the market has seen an influx of numerous types of adhesive tapes, each vowing to deliver superior adhesion, durability, and resistance to changes in weather and temperature.
However, not all tapes meet these lofty standards.
Some may leave a stubborn residue, while others may not endure the elements as well as they claim. Striking the perfect balance between staying power and easy removal is crucial, and I aim to assist you in navigating this complex territory.
Read More: 3M VHB Vs. Gorilla Tape
Importance of Double-Sided Tape in Car Maintenance
Double-sided tape can be used for a myriad of applications in your vehicle.
From affixing accessories and trim to hold wires in place to even minor repairs, it’s a versatile tool every car owner should have in their toolbox. Now, why not just use any regular tape?
The answer lies in the strength, durability, and clean finish that only double-sided tapes can offer.
Best Double-Sided Tape for Cars
3M VHB Double-Sided Tape
3M VHB Tape is one of the most popular and widely used Double-Sided Mounting Tapes known for its strength and durability.
3M VHB tape was originally introduced in the market in the 1980s and has been a popular choice for Double-Sided mounting tapes ever since.
The VHB in 3M VHB stands for Very High Bond, and the original formula was one of the first of its kind and still is one of the best choices that can outperform many other competitors.
3M VHB Double-Sided Heavy-Duty tape is acrylic. It has viscoelasticity, which means the tape has robust performance but stays flexible and acts like a viscous liquid, capable of filling holes or gaps.
3M VHB Double-Sided tape provides a robust bond that holds up to 3 lbs per 2 inch, and you can use it to mount both light and heavyweight tools or objects.
You can use the 3M VHB Double-Sided Tape for various uses like – automotive trim, hanging picture or poster frames, or mounting large or heavy tools.
Furthermore, the 3M VHB Double-Sided Tape is also moisture, water, and weather resistant, making it ideal for indoor and outdoor use.
You can also use the 3M VHB Double-Sided Tape for moist surfaces, but ensure that the surface is clean, free of oil, and dry before applying the tape for maximum performance.
3M VHB is also versatile regarding materials it bonds well with and has multipurpose usage.
You can use 3M VHB Tape for – glass panels, door edges, car spoilers, and LED Plates, among other automotive parts.
Besides using 3M VHB Tape for automotive components, you can also use it for – rugs, stainless steel, ABS or PVC Panels, among others.
You can also use 3M VHB Double-Sided Tape for rough or not flat surfaces.
Applying 3M VHB Double-Sided Tape has a strong grip on objects quite swiftly; however, it is best to let the tape sit for 24 hours before putting weights on the tape since it takes around 72 hours to reach full strength.
3M VHB works best at room temperatures but has a service temperature between 70° F and 100°F.
Gorilla Heavy Duty Double-Sided Mounting Tape
Gorilla Double-Sided Mounting Tape is a heavy-duty tape which you can use for a robust and permanent bond. Gorilla Double Sided tape has high-strength adhesive on both sides of the tape, and the glue itself is thick for maximum performance.
Gorilla Double-Sided Tape is versatile for materials it bonds well with and can be useful for indoor and outdoor surface applications.
Gorilla Double-Sided Tape works well with carpet, flooring, wood, metal, vinyl, plastic, and more. Furthermore, Gorilla Double-Sided Mounting Tape works well with smooth and rough surfaces due to its thick heavy-duty adhesive.
Gorilla Heavy-Duty Double-Sided Mounting Tape is also a great pick for you if longevity is one of your concerns; besides the tape providing a permanent bond, the formula ensures the adhesive does not change its color over time to pale or yellow.
You can use Gorilla Heavy-Duty Mounting Tape for various indoor and outdoor projects to hang heavy or lightweight objects. Furthermore, Gorilla Double-Sided Mounting Tape comes in various sizes of 35mm x 7.3m and 25.4mm x 3.04m, and you have ample tape to work with.
Since the tape is also thin, you can have flexible shapes to attach your objects to.
One of the other notable features of Gorilla Heavy-Duty Double-Sided Mounting Tape is that it comes in a transparent color, making it suitable for various colors of objects you have.
Furthermore, Gorilla Double-Sided Tape has a fast set time of around 60 seconds, even for rougher surfaces. However, this also means you have little margin of error, so plan accordingly.
Gorilla Double-Sided Tape is also weather and moisture-resistant, making it ideal for outdoor or indoor usage with high moisture risk.
Gorilla Double-Sided Tape works best at room temperature but has an application temperature ranging from 40°F to 120° F and a service temperature reaching up to 150°F.
3M Super Strength Molding Tape
3M Super Strength Molding Tape is a Double-Sided mounting tape made by 3M, and you can use it for permanently attaching various automotive components or parts. 3M Super Strength Molding Tape has aircraft-grade adhesive strength and a very robust bond.
You can use 3M Super-Strength Molding Tape to attach various Moldings, Trim, or Emblems indoors or outdoors in your car.
Furthermore, 3M Super Strength is available in various lengths and widths, so you have multiple options to pick the most suitable one for you.
3M Super-Strength Molding Tape is also impact and weather resistant, making it ideal for heavy-duty or industrial usage.
3M Super-Strength Molding Tape is versatile when it comes to automotive components it bonds well with since it works well with plastic, metal, carbon fibre, and more.
3M Super-Strength Molding Tape also bonds immediately, and you can maintain your components later, too, since it holds up to moisture, impact, or solvents you might use for cleaning or maintenance.
You can also use 3M Super-Strength Molding Tape to provide enhanced protection against hazards like door dings.
You can apply 3M Super-Strength Molding Tape to both painted or unpainted surfaces of your car and for side body mouldings, fenders, and more.
If you want a clean look around your car, 3M Super-Strength Molding Tape is an excellent pick since it has industrial-grade adhesion and is a good alternative for rivets in multiple cases.
You can also use 3M Super-Strength Molding Tape for irregular or textured surfaces.
3M Super-Strength Molding Tape is available in various servings of length and wide like – ½ inch x 5 feet, ½ inch x 15 feet, ⅞ inch x 15 feet, etc. Since 3M Super-Strength Molding Tape is available in multiple sizes, you can pick whichever suits you the best, so you don’t have much extra tape left after your usage.
3M Super-Strength Molding Tape is also versatile in temperatures it will work well in since it has a working temperature range of 40°F to 250°F.
Read More: Gorilla Double Sided Tape Vs. 3M
Factors to Consider When Choosing The Best Double-Sided Tape for Cars
Choosing the right double-sided tape for your car can be crucial for maintaining the aesthetics and functionality of your vehicle. Here are some key factors to consider when making your choice:
- Strength: The primary reason for using double-sided tape is to create a strong bond. Hence, you should check the strength of the tape. Some brands advertise a tensile strength rating. Ensure the tape is sturdy enough to withstand the weight of the object it intends to hold.
- Heat Resistance: Cars often sit in the sun for long periods, causing the interior to heat significantly. The adhesive on low-quality tape can melt or lose its stickiness in such conditions. Ensure the tape you choose can withstand high temperatures without deteriorating.
- Weather Resistance: The double-sided tape should also be weather resistant. It should withstand exposure to rain, snow, and other environmental elements without losing its adhesiveness or deteriorating.
- Durability: The tape should be durable and able to last long without peeling off or losing its stickiness.
- Material Compatibility: Ensure that the tape is compatible with the materials of both surfaces you’re sticking together. Some tapes adhere well to glass or metal but poorly to plastic or rubber, for instance.
- Removability: Consider whether you need to remove the tape in the future. Some double-sided tapes can be removed without leaving residue or damaging the surface, while others cannot.
- Thickness: The thickness of the tape may be important depending on what you’re using it for. A thicker tape might be needed for filling gaps, while a thinner tape might provide a more seamless appearance.
- Flexibility: Some applications require the tape to bend or flex without coming loose or breaking. In such cases, a flexible double-sided tape would be necessary.
- Price: While getting a tape that performs well is important, you also need to consider your budget. Remember that the most expensive tape is only sometimes the best for your specific needs.
- Reviews: Read product reviews online before purchasing. This can provide a more realistic insight into the performance of the tape from users who have already used it.
Remember, the best double-sided tape for your car will depend on what you plan to use it for, so consider these factors when choosing.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Using Double-Sided Tape
Even the best double-sided tape can only be effective if used correctly. Here are a few mistakes to avoid.
- Using the Wrong Type of Tape: Not all double-sided tapes are created equal. Some are made for specific surfaces or conditions. Using the wrong tape can lead to poor adhesion or damage to the surfaces involved.
- Not Cleaning the Surface Properly: If the surface you’re attaching the tape to needs to be cleaned and dry, the tape may not adhere properly. Dust, grease, or moisture can all interfere with the adhesion.
- Not Applying Enough Pressure: Double-sided tape often needs firm pressure to bond properly with a surface. If you don’t apply enough pressure, the tape may not stick as well as it should.
- Rushing the Adhesion Process: Some tapes need a certain amount of time to achieve maximum bond strength. If you try to attach something to the tape before it’s fully set, it might not hold.
- Applying Too Little or Too Much Tape: Too little tape might not provide sufficient hold, while too much can leave a messy residue or make removal more difficult.
- Not Testing on a Small Area First: When using the tape on delicate or valuable surfaces, it’s a good idea to test it on a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure it won’t cause damage.
- Improper Storage: Double-sided tape should be stored in a cool, dry place and used within the manufacturer’s suggested timeframe for best results.
- Leaving the Backing on Too Long: If you peel the backing off and then don’t use the tape immediately, dust and other particles can stick to it, compromising its adhesion.
- Not Removing the Tape Correctly: Pulling the tape off too quickly can damage the surface it’s stuck to. It’s usually best to pull slowly and carefully and to use a product like an adhesive remover if necessary.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you’ll get the best possible performance out of your double-sided tape.
When it comes to finding the best double-sided tape for cars, three top options stand out: 3M VHB Double-Sided Tape, Gorilla Heavy Duty Double-Sided Mounting Tape, and 3M Super Strength Molding Tape. Each of these tapes has unique qualities that make them reliable and efficient for automotive use.
I find the 3M VHB Double-Sided Tape exceptional in bonding strength and durability. Its acrylic foam core allows for a strong bond even in challenging conditions like extreme temperatures and vibrations. Whether I need to attach trim, moldings, or emblems, this tape offers a reliable solution that lasts.
The Gorilla Heavy Duty Double-Sided Mounting Tape is a great choice if I require tape for heavy-duty applications. It’s sturdy design and strong adhesive properties make it ideal for securing heavy objects such as car accessories, license plate frames, and rearview mirrors. The tape’s weather resistance ensures it stays in place in various environments.
Another excellent option is the 3M Super Strength Molding Tape, specifically designed for attaching automotive trim. This tape excels in securely bonding exterior and interior trim pieces, providing a clean and professional look. Its strong adhesive ensures a permanent bond, keeping the trim in place.
What double-sided tape is used for cars?
Double-sided tape is used in various aspects of car care and maintenance. Here are a few examples:
Automotive Attachment Tape: These are often used for attaching trim pieces, moldings, and emblems to the exterior of cars. They are designed to withstand heat, cold, water, and direct sunlight without losing adhesion. 3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape is a well-known brand in this category.
Body Molding Tape: This double-sided tape is often used for attaching body moldings, rocker panels, and door trim to vehicles. It’s designed to resist the elements and hold up over time.
Window Sealing Tape: This type of double-sided tape provides a firm and waterproof seal between the glass and the car body, ensuring no leaks.
Interior Mounting Tape: These are used for mounting objects inside the car, such as dash cams, GPS devices, etc.
Remember, when using double-sided tape for car applications, it’s important to thoroughly clean and dry the surfaces before application to ensure a good bond. Some tapes may also require the use of a primer or adhesive promoter for best results.
Does double-sided tape work on cars?
Yes, double-sided tape can work well on cars for various purposes, such as attaching trim, moldings, emblems, interior devices, or even sealing windows. Notably, 3M’s VHB tape is often used for such applications.
It’s designed to withstand the outdoors and hold up over time. However, surfaces should be thoroughly cleaned and dried before application for the best results.